Email marketing is one of the main ways to send information about promotions to previous customers and to gently nudge potential customers who abandoned their carts to complete their orders.
Shopify allows you to run marketing campaigns, and email campaigns are one way to do so. You can either use third-party apps or the new feature by Shopify called Shopify Email.
Shopify Email is a new feature by Shopify to automate email campaigns without the use of a third-party app.
Shopify Email allows you to send up to 2,500 emails per month free, with additional $1.00 for the next 1,000 emails. This is ideal for new businesses that have a small number of customers.
How to create your email on Shopify Email
Step 1. Click Marketing in the main sidebar to the left of your admin page. The Marketing overview page will load.
Step 2. On the upper-left corner of the page, there is a button named Create campaign. Click it.
A pop-up list labeled Build your campaign by adding a marketing activity will appear. It lists down the activities you can do with the features you have and with the apps connected to your Shopify account.
Step 3. On the list labeled Build your campaign by adding a marketing activity, click Shopify Email.
A page titled Choose a starting point will be loaded, containing templates for your email marketing campaign.
Step 4. On the Choose a starting point, scroll down to choose a template. You can check the template first by clicking Preview. Click Select if you want to use the template.
Step 5. The page for editing the email will be loaded.
How to customize your email settings on Shopify Email
Step 1. Specify the recipients of the email by going to the To line. By default, all subscribers will receive the email. To change it, click the arrow after the All subscribers. A drop-down list of customer groups will appear. Click on the customer group you plan to target with the email.
Step 2. To change the email subject and the preview text, go to the Subject line and the Preview text line, respectively.
Step 3. By default, the email shown to recipients is the admin email. To change it, click the Edit link. A page for changing the sender email will be loaded. You can change the sender email to another email where you want the customers to make inquiries to.
How to customize your email body on Shopify Email
After the email information, you can now edit the body of the email.
The body of the email contains the header, the main content, and the footer. You can adjust the following:
- You can edit the header by replacing the name of your store with a logo. To do so, click the Select Image or drop an image to the specified area to upload the store logo. Afterwards, you can change the Logo size by moving a slider either to the left (to make it smaller) or to the right (to make it larger). You can move the logo closer to the left side or to the right side by changing the alignment.
- To insert a new section, click the blue circle with a while plus arrow sign that appears when you hover the cursor near the border between two sections.
You can then edit the sections with the following actions:
- To rearrange the sections, click the 2x3 dots symbol on the left side of the section and then drag it up or down while clicking it.
- To duplicate a section, click the two sheets sign that appears on the right side of the screen.
- To remove a section, click the trashcan sign that appears on the right side of the screen after the button for the duplicate sign.
Some templates may contain sections for adding a product. Click Select a product. A list of products will appear. Click on the product that you want to showcase in your email.
On the footer section, you can specify whether to include either the shop address or the phone number (or both). You can also add social media icons so the recipients can go instead to your social media accounts.
How to finalize and send your email on Shopify Email
Step 1. After finishing your email, you can Send test first to see how it looks before you send it to your recipients. You can add up to five emails for the test email.
Step 2. When you are done, click Review then follow the last steps so you can finally send the email to your recipients!