How to Line Break in Google Sheets [Best Method in 2023]
In this article we will show you how to do a line break in google sheets. Simply follow the steps below:
For this demonstration an example data set has been created. You can access this and follow along by clicking here.
Insert Line Break in Google Sheets
1. Double click on the cell.
Double click on the cell you want to enter the line break to make the text editable.
2. Click where you want to enter the line break in the text or number value.
With the whole cell highlighted, click where you want to enter the line break.
3. Click Ctrl + Enter (for Windows) or Command ⌘ + Return (for Mac)
Hold down and click:
- Ctrl + Enter or Alt + Enter (for Windows)
- Ctrl + Return or Alt + Return or ⌘ + Return (for Mac)
This will implement the line break. Just pressing enter without the applicable Ctrl key will not work.
The text will still be temporarily visible behind the cell, when you press enter this will disappear and the line break will be implemented.
4. Click Enter to see results
The line break has been implemented, please note that the height of all cells in the entire row will increase based on the changes of the line break and this can cause issues for formatting.
You can add many line breaks to the same value, here is an example of a data set with line breaks implemented:
-Line Breaks Formulas in Google Sheets