In this article we will show how to import a CSV file from an email into google sheets in just a few simple steps. Simply follow the steps below:
Import Email CSV to Existing Google Sheets
1. Download the CSV File
In GMail, the attachments are listed below the email body. For our example, we received an email with an email list in CSV format.
Hover your cursor over it then select Download. It is the leftmost icon in the three icons that will appear when you hover over the file.
Once you downloaded the file, open the file manager on your computer and find the folder where it was downloaded. Keep it open for the next step.
2. Click File then Select Import
Open Google Sheets then create a new spreadsheet. Click File then select Import.
The Import file box will appear.
3. Click Upload then Drag File to Upload Area
You get options to import files to Google Sheets. Click Upload as the file is from our computer.
Open the file manager with the folder containing the downloaded email CSV, then drag it to the upload area. Alternatively, you can click Browse and find the file in the file manager.
The Import file will change form, showing you import settings.
4. Choose Import Settings
Import settings will appear next, such as import location and separator type.
Only the import location needs to be specified, as Google Sheets will read the separator type correctly:
- Create new spreadsheet - a new spreadsheet will be created containing the data from the CSV file
- Insert new sheet(s) - a new sheet will be inserted into the current sheet containing the data from the CSV file
- Replace spreadsheet - the current spreadsheet will be replaced by the data from the imported CSV file
- Replace current sheet - the active sheet will be replaced with a new one with the data from the CSV file
- Append to current sheet - the data from the CSV file will be inserted at the end of the active sheet
- Replace data at selected cell - the data from CSV file will be inserted to the active sheet starting from the selected cell
For this example, we will select Insert new sheet(s).
5. Click Import data
Once the import settings have been selected, click Import data. A new sheet will be added with the same name as the filename uploaded to Google Sheets.
Import Email CSV to New Google Sheets Spreadsheet
If you plan to create a new spreadsheet containing the email CSV, there is a quicker way to do so:
1. Hover the Cursor Over the Attached Email CSV
When you hover your cursor over the attached email CSV, three options will appear.
2. Click Edit with Google Sheets
The rightmost option is Edit with Google Sheets. Click it.
A new tab containing the new spreadsheet with the data from the email CSV attachment will appear.
3. Edit the sheet
You can start editing it based on your needs! For this example, we just did basic formatting and sorted it by the last name.
If you enjoyed this article, you might also enjoy the articles below:
Data Validation for Email Address in Google Sheets
Extract Name from Email Address Google Sheets
Sending Email From Google Sheets